What is Kombucha & what are its health benefits?
I don't know if it is just me, but recently I have been hearing so much about a drink called 'Kombucha', I had a vague idea about what it was (a fermented drink) but didn't know much else about it. Yesterday I decided to buy myself some by the brand 'Captain Kombucha' and finally do some research.
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha, which has been around for over 2,000 years, is a fermented drink made from bacteria and yeast mixed with black or green tea and sugar. The sugary tea turns into kombucha with the help of a SCOBY—a.k.a. "a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast"—which looks a bit like a floating mushroom. Except it's made of live bacteria. It's this bacteria and yeast-fueled fermentation process that sets kombucha apart from other drinks (and gives it that slightly off-putting vinegary smell when you sip). (womenshealthmag.com)
Kombucha is a probiotic beverage.
I did notice while drinking it that it did have a fizzy quirky taste (if this makes sense). To me it tasted like a Sprite with way less sugar, closer to sparkling water but with something to it.
Now let's go over the pros and cons of drinking Kombucha:
- Fights cancer & helps to stop it's growth with *Gluaric acid
- Detoxifies the body with glucose acid and probiotics
- Strengthens immune system with anti-oxidants
- Promotes weight loss with *acetic acid and *polyphenols
- Eases joint pain and helps prevent arthritis
- Boosts energy with enzymes and B Vitamins
- Helps the digestive system with probiotics and leads to a healthier gut
- Drinking too much can cause heartburn
- Stick to low-alcohol versions
- Making it wrong at home can cause more harm than good so make sure you are doing it correctly if you want to DIY.
- It can include a lot of sugar so be careful on the brand you choose.
- Since it is made from tea it can have caffeine in it
*Acetic acid - the acid that gives vinegar its characteristic taste. The pure acid is a colourless viscous liquid or glassy solid.
*Polyphenols - an antioxidant phytochemical (as chlorogenic acid) that tends to prevent or neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals.
Recommended brands of Kombucha with great reviews:
Captain Kombucha - https://amzn.to/2ORFqV3
Loving Foods - https://amzn.to/2Sfuaj8
Yogi Tea - https://amzn.to/2PRH4Cs
Equinox Kombucha - https://amzn.to/2OLmffr
Have you tried Kombucha? What is your favourite brand?