Turmeric: 10 reasons why you should use it
Updated: Oct 14, 2018
Turmeric is a well-known spice that is used in Indian cooking, it is what gives curry its yellow colour. It also carries many health and beauty benefits.
Today I am going to share with you 10 reasons why you should be using turmeric. There are more reasons then 10 but I don't want to overload you with information so I will be focusing on 5 health reasons and 5 beauty reasons just to keep things balanced.
5 HEALTH REASONS:
1. Its main ingredient is Curcumin, it has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant. The reason why antioxidants are important is because they protect your body from free radicals. What are free radicals? Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage the cells in your body.
2. Helps prevent cancer. Curcumin has been studied as a beneficial herb in cancer treatment and can affect cancer growth, development and spread.
3. It helps boost immunity. It provides the body with antioxidants; anti-inflammatory properties; and antiviral, antibacterial, and antimicrobial compounds (including curcumin). These turmeric benefits help to support the digestive system’s ability to function at its best and also support the immune system’s protective capabilities to keep illnesses and disease at bay (consciouslifestylemag.com).
4. Helps to balances hormone levels! Turmeric helps to improve oestrogen metabolism so if you have a high level of oestrogen, it will help in reducing the level of it.
5. Helps with weight loss. It suppresses fat tissue growth and helps reduce inflammation in the body.
5 BEAUTY REASONS:
1. The anti-bacterial properties of turmeric aid in acne treatment. Its anti-inflammatory properties treat the inflammation in pimples. It can be used as a face wash or face mask for oily skin. It can also be used to treat dry skin by mixing it with milk and honey. You can easily make this mask or if you don't want to deal with the mess and having to make it fresh every few days then here are some face masks that you can buy with turmeric as one of their main ingredients:
2. Treats scars & hyperpigmentation. Great at lightening dark marks and helping to even out skin tone. You can make the face mask from scratch or try the Andalou Turmeric Plus C Enlighten Serum instead as a part of your daily skincare routine.
3. Helps stretch mark appearance. This is, again, because of curcumin – which penetrates the cell membranes. Curcumin is known to alter the physical properties of the cell membrane – and hence, it might cure stretch marks as well (stylecraze.com).
4. Reduces dark circles. Turmeric stimulates circulation, which can help reduce puffiness and under eye darkness which can be caused by poor circulation.
5. Brightens skin tone. Turmeric brightens the skin, improves the skin's complexion, and rejuvenates dull looking skin - giving you a natural glow!
WAYS THAT TO TAKE TURMERIC & AVOID MESS/STAINING:
- Add a teaspoon to boiling water and drink it as a tea.
- Take it in capsules, here are good recommendations of high-strength turmeric capsules:
(All of these capsules include black pepper as it helps enhance the effects of turmeric).
- Turmeric liquid can be added to drinks (useful if you don't like swallowing tablets):
Do you use turmeric? What has it done for you? (comment below)